Sunday, May 4, 2014

Creamed Spinach










I was looking for a simple side dish to go with a complicated main when I decided to crack open my copy of “The Oregonian Cookbook Best Recipes from Food Day” published by Carpe Diem Books.  It is an edited collection of over three decades of recipes published in the Oregonian in their Food Day section.  It has often been a source of inspiration over the years especially for my mother in law.  She has piles of clippings that she has saved over the years from the paper and we have had many meals as a result of those clippings.  The book did not disappoint; I found a recipe that they claim is the one and only Ruth’s Chris Creamed Spinach recipe.  I have had this creamed spinach dish at a Ruth’s Chris restaurant and this recipe is very close.  The only thing I changed is that I added a little nutmeg.  I don’t know about you, but I always love a little nutmeg in my cream sauce.
Creamed Spinach
4 servings
Ingredients:
  • 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2/3 cup half and half, divided
  • Pinch nutmeg
  • Sea Salt to taste
  • ground white pepper to taste
  • 1 pound fresh baby spinach leaves coarsely chopped
Directions:
  1. In a large sauce pan melt the butter over medium heat.  Whisk in the flour and cook stirring constantly until roux reaches a light tan color, about 5 to 8 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in 1/3 cup of the half and half, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
  2. Put the pan back on the heat and add the spinach to the pan and stir into the milk-roux mixture (you may have to do this in batches), cook until spinach is fully wilted.
  3. Add the remaining 1/3 cup half and half and stir spinach until smooth and creamy.  Add a little water if too thick (thought mine was a little gummy so added a little bit of water).

2 comments:

June said...

Think of you every time I open that cookbook. It is a treasure! No question, this is the best version of Creamed Spinach ever. Even you know who likes it.

Lorraine said...

A lot of good stuff in that book. How are you liking the weather?