Monday, November 4, 2013

Marsala Chicken with Mushrooms and Gorgonzola




I eat cooking magazines for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  They are an obsession!  I usually have one or two on the coffee table, the night stand, and dare I say it the room with the porcelain throne.  I have amassed a collection of recipes from said magazines that is 2356 recipes strong and still growing.  Have I cooked all of those recipes or will I cook all of those recipes, probably not, but I am comforted by knowing that they are there for when I might eventually need them to inspire.  This recipe is a case in point.  Found and adapted from an issue of Fine Cooking from years ago that I dusted off and brought out of the cyber bin when I was in the mood for something “chicken”.  Did I change it up, sure I did, but not so much that I should fail to mention the source. 

This is a rich dish and best made with a mild tasting blue or Gorgonzola cheese.   It turned out wonderfully creamy, dense with flavor and just the thing to make me want to skip the scale the next morning.   I am thinking of making it again with Sherry or Cognac instead…yeah, one of those will definitely be the next version.


Marsala Chicken with Mushrooms and Gorgonzola (adapted from Fine Cooking)

4 servings

Ingredients:
  • 1 ½ pounds chicken breast
  • Salt and pepper
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
  • 1 pound crimini mushrooms sliced ¼” thick
  • 3 cloves garlic minced
  • ¾ cup Marsala wine
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 2 ounces Gorgonzola cheese
  • ¼ cup flat leaf parsley chopped
  • Cooked pasta
Directions:
  1. Cut the chicken into 1-inch pieces and season with salt and pepper.
  2. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium heat in a large sauté pan until nice and hot.  Add chicken pieces until pan is full but not crowded.  Sauté pieces until chicken is just done, about 4 minutes; repeat as needed until all the chicken is done and remove to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
  3. Heat an additional tablespoon of oil over medium heat until hot.  Add mushrooms and sauté until mushrooms have released their water and are softened and brown, about 5 minutes.  Add garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds or until fragrant.  Pour in the Marsala and stir vigorously to incorporate the brown bits.  Reduce the heat to low and let the Marsala reduce slightly, about 4 minutes.  Stir in the cream and simmer for 2 minutes, then add the the Gorgonzola and stir until incorporated.  Add more salt and pepper to taste.  Add the chicken and simmer until chicken is warmed through.
  4. Serve with pasta and top with parsley.

 

2 comments:

June said...

Oh my - this has everything our little hearts desire. Mushrooms, Marsala and cheese. Wow! My mouth is watering as we speak!

Lorraine said...

June, It sure was tasty and I bet it would taste good with some of those wild mushrooms BG has been finding.