Saturday, October 19, 2013

Roasted Tomato and Tomatillo Soup



This summer I decided to try my hand at a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) box.  I knew from the start that it probably would be too much produce for me so I decided to split the weekly box with two friends.  We were all pretty excited until I picked up the first box and just could not figure out how to divide up the goods.  I mean really, how do you split a kohlrabi three ways?  We ended up taking turns at the pick up, which worked out pretty well, although I still ended up either wasting some or giving some away.  Those boxes were full!

In one of my boxes I ended up with tomatoes, tomatillos, jalapenos and cilantro and just knew I was going to make soup.  Roasting the fruit and vegetables gave this soup a really nice bit of smokey goodness. 

Roasted Tomato and Tomatillo Soup

6 servings

Ingredients:
  • 1 ¾ pounds tomatoes (I used a variety)
  • 1 ¾ pound tomatillos
  • 1 jalapeno pepper stem removed
  • 4 cloves garlic unpeeled
  • 1 small yellow onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 28-ounce can tomato sauce
  • 1 container of Knorr Home Style Concentrated Chicken Stock
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano (preferably Mexican)
  • ½ cup chopped cilantro
  • Cilantro leaves for garnish
Directions:
  1. Cut larger tomatoes into quarters and leave small tomatoes whole and place on a large rimmed baking sheet.  Peel and wash the tomatillos then cut into quarters and add to the sheet with the tomatoes.  Add the jalapeno, garlic cloves and onion, season with salt and pepper and place in a 375° oven.  Roast for about 90 minutes, or until the tomatoes and tomatillos have released their water and have started to char in spots.
  2. Remove from the oven and pass everything through a food mill into a large soup pot.  Add tomato sauce Knorr concentrate, water, cumin and oregano.  Simmer over low heat for 30 to 45 minutes or until it reaches the thickness that you want.  Add chopped cilantro, taste for seasoning and serve topped with cilantro sprig. 
Note:  If you don't have a food mill, process in a blender then pass through a strainer.


 
 

2 comments:

June said...

That was a CSA goldmine I'd say and your soup looks awesome.

Lorraine said...

I haven't worked with tomatillos much, but they sure made the soup much more interesting.