Sunday, August 4, 2013

Seared Duck Breast with Plum Chutney



Duck is on my list of favorite things and I honestly don't know when that happened.  One day I had never had it, the next day I was ordering it whenever I would see it on the menu.  Funny how some foods just enter your life suddenly, and without any conscious thought.  Now that I am a duck lover I am trying to perfect it at home.  My favorite way to have duck breast is medium rare, but to get it that way I use to drop it skin side down in a screaming hot skillet and sear it fast and quick but that left too much fatty duck fat.  I decided to try cooking in it at a lower temperature to render the fat (which I clarified for duck fat frys) and then moving it to a hotter temperature to finish.  I am still working on perfection but the chutney is to die for.  I think it would be wonderful with pork too.

Seared Duck Breast with Plum Chutney
4 Servings
Ingredients:
  • 1 small yellow onion cut in half and sliced thin
  • 1 1-inch piece fresh ginger peeled and grated
  • 2 cloves garlic minced
  • 1 teaspoon Garam Masala
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 2 tablespoons chopped raisins
  • 2 ripe large black plums, pits removed and chopped
  • Salt and pepper
  • 4 duck breasts
  • Salt and pepper
Directions:
  1. In a medium skillet heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat, add onion slices and cook until tender but not browned, about 10 minutes.
  2. Add ginger, garlic and Garam Masala and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
  3. Reduce heat to low and add chicken stock, raisins and plums.  Cook until liquid is almost evaporated and plums are tender, about 20 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper.
  4. Prepare the duck breasts by scoring the skin side in a cross hatch pattern almost but not quite through the skin.  Salt and pepper both sides of each piece liberally.
  5. Heat a cast iron skillet over low heat.   When hot add the duck skin side down and slowly cook the duck  for about 4 minutes, or until fat is rendered and duck releases from the pan.  Increase heat to medium high and cook for an addition 2 minutes until the skin is brown and crisp.
  6. Turn the duck over and cook for an additional 4 minutes.  Remove to a plate, cover with foil and let rest for 5 minutes.
  7. Place ¼ of the plum chutney on one of 4 plates.  Slice each breast into ½ inch pieces and then place on top of chutney.

2 comments:

June said...

You know how we love our duck...and that chutney looks amazing! Can't wait to try it. Great to see you yesterday!

Lorraine said...

It was "plum" amazing if I do say so myself! The store is where I see most people I know he he.