Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Cilantro Vinaigrette

Well the temperature here is still in the mid-fifties and the skies are still mostly cloudy with intermittent rain and I am just going to ignore that and have some salad even though it feels more like a soup day.  Actually, my plan is to make one dressing and have two different salads over the next couple of days.  The dressing for the day; cilantro vinaigrette.  I got some guidance from Bobby Flay for my version, but I used a lemon (because that is what I had) and subbed in agave syrup for grins and garlic for bite and what a lovely dressing it turned out to be.  I think I want to paint a wall this color…what do you think?


Cilantro Vinaigrette
Makes about ¾ cup
  • ¼ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice (1 large lemon)
  • 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon agave syrup
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 clove garlic coarsely chopped
  • Salt and fresh ground pepper
  • ½ cup olive oil
Directions:
  1. Place lemon juice, vinegar, agave syrup, cumin, cilantro, garlic and salt and pepper in a blender and blend until cilantro and garlic are chopped fine and everything is well blended.
  2. With the blender still running add the olive oil through the feed in a very slow stream until all the oil is incorporated and the vinaigrette is thoroughly blended.  Use immediately, or store covered in the fridge for up to 3 days.  Shake well before using.  
Printable Recipe


4 comments:

June said...

I really like the addition of the agave syrup which would take away some of that cilantro "soapiness" some people's taste buds object to. As for the color - I think it's incredible but I don't think I'd want it in my bathroom next to the mirror, although on second thoughts it might make me think twice about the third glass of wine I had the night before. LOL

Lorraine said...

June,
This dressing does not taste soapy at all, just bright and herbal. Yeah, the green reflected back at you might give pause.

Mary said...

I love cilantro dressings Lorraine and make one every now and then. More often, I buy it already made at Trader Joe's. I just snuck out back to see how our cilantro was doing that Tim chose to grow this year and I'd say I'll be using it this weekend! Dressing sounds wonderful!

Lorraine said...

Mary,
Nothing better than home grown and home made, although TJ has some good stuff.