Friday, April 13, 2012

Smoked Turkey and Cabbage Salad


Long ago in a galaxy far far away I had this friend who was a vegetarian, and a Christian Scientist.  I was quite familiar with being a vegetarian (having been one myself from the age of 16 to 25 and off and on since then) although when we met I was no longer a true vegetarian, but rather more of a “Meatless Mondays” sort of gal.  Back in the late 1980s (when we met) I really didn’t know much about the ways of Christian Scientists and I was intrigued.   I am always interested in people’s belief systems because I am always trying to refine my own.   I confess that I still don’t know as much as I would like about the Christian Science religion because this friend of mine was rather quiet about her religious beliefs, but I to this day have nothing but respect for the concept.

We were quite good friends for a time despite the fact that I was no longer a committed vegetarian nor  did I have the same religious belief system as she, but we did share a love of cooking and eating.  As part of that friendship we took a couple of vegetarian based cooking classes together at a local grocery store that was very similar to the Whole Foods concept popular today (and I think it may have been taken over by the chain).  This recipe is an adaptation of one of the recipes we learned in one of our cooking classes.  The original used a tofu based protein, but I have used smoked turkey instead.

Smoked Turkey  and Cabbage Salad (adapted from Bread of Life)
6 to 8 servings
Salad:
  • 1 14-ounce bag shredded coleslaw (with carrots)
  • 4 green onions chopped (white and some green)
  • 1 ½ cups chopped or shredded smoked turkey breast
  • ½ cup sliced almonds
  • 3 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
Dressing:
  • 3 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
  • 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
  • 1 ½ teaspoons dry mustard
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • ½ teaspoon Szechwan sauce
  • ½ teaspoon mirin
  • ½ teaspoon powdered ginger
  • 3 tablespoons sesame oil
  • 1/3 cup peanut oil
Directions:
  1. In a large bowl mix together all the salad ingredient.
  2. In a smaller bowl mix together the dressing ingredients except the peanut oil and sesame oil until well blended. 
  3. Whisk in the sesame oil and then add the peanut oil in a slow stream whisking until all the oil is blended in.
  4. Add dressing to the cabbage and toss well.  Serve immediately.
Note:
I really like the flavor of the smoked turkey in this.  I have a local store that smokes just about everything, but if you are not able to find smoked turkey (or even smoked chicken) you can use cooked chicken or turkey.
If you are not going to eat all of the salad right then, dress only what you plan to eat and store the rest of the salad and the dressing in separate bowls in the fridge until ready to eat.

6 comments:

June said...

I can't wait to make this Lorraine. It sounds like a perfect warm weather dinner and it won't be long until we're hitting the triple digits although it won't be today. Really cool and raining - yippy!

Lea M. Callais said...

Wow - this almost makes me want to eat turkey! - I probably would eat it since it is smoked - HA! Gorgeous!

Mary said...

God bless the Christian Scientists and a grand church honor them on our Boston's Copley Square. Also, thank GOD salad weather has arrived. I do not wait on Spring for them because when I write out my food order list, it always includes at least 3 weekly! This salad sounds superb Lorraine and I am planning to try it soon!

Lorraine said...

June,
I personally will be happy when we get 2 days in a row that we don't see rain, but I get where you are coming from. I find this salad works all year. Very filling.

Lorraine said...

Lea,
I am not a huge fan of turkey myself, but it just works here.

Lorraine said...

Mary,
I try to each salads all through the year too for health reasons, but spring and summer is when they feel more "right", but with the smoky flavors this one works anytime.