Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Kale Chips with Lemon Yogurt Dip


I am a little late jumping on this particular food trend bandwagon but I am here now and I am staying.  I had been resisting this one because I just didn’t think I was going to like it.  Who would think that they would on the face of it but here I am, loving it: kale chips. 

They are made obviously from kale, but they bake up crisp and slightly salty giving you a snack that satisfies with minimal calories.  Pair it with a lemon-yogurt dip and you have a guilt-free “chips and dip” that maybe won’t make people not miss the potato chips altogether but might just make them feel good about what they are eating.

Kale Chips with Lemon-Yogurt Dip

10 servings
  • 1 bunch organic kale
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 pinch of sea salt
  • ½ cup Greek yogurt
  • ½ teaspoon finely minced lemon zest
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice 

Directions: 

  1. Remove thick ribs from kale leaves and tear leaves into bite sized pieces.  Wash well and dry well.
  2. Preheat oven to 425 F.
  3. Toss kale pieces with olive oil and salt and spread out over two large rimmed baking sheets.   Place sheets in oven on the middle and upper racks and bake kale for 6 minutes.  Remove trays from oven and flip kale leaves.  Return trays to oven, switching racks from upper to middle racks and continue to cook for an additional 6 minutes.
  4. Remove trays from oven and let kale come to room temperature.
  5. Mix yogurt with lemon zest and juice, serve with kale chips.

6 comments:

Lea M. Callais said...

I think the yogurt dip is what is making me want to eat these more!

June said...

mmm I haven't tried them yet either, but gee they look delicious. I'm with Lea though - the dip looks like more.

Mary said...

It certainly is a GREAT way to gt good vitamins & minerals into us Lorraine! Bet this is also great using fresh spinach leaves!

Lorraine said...

Lea,
Yeah, I am not sure that I could sit down with a plate of kale chips without it.

Lorraine said...

Mary,
You are right, good and healthy. Let
me know if you try this with spinach.

Lorraine said...

Don't know if the Big Guy will go for them but they are good. The lemon yogurt made them for sure.