Thursday, March 8, 2012

Ham and Dill Pickle Roll-Ups


 
So I have seen this appetizer over the years from many sources (most recently over at Kalyn’s Kitchen), but I haven't ever made it before because I have always thought it too, well, pedestrian to bother with.  I should have tried one before I made such a judgment.  How could I know that a slice of deli ham, a smear of cream cheese and a dill pickle could be so addictive? They are better than potato chips!  I was actually looking forward to getting home from work the next day so that I could finish off the leftovers.  Keep the ingredients handy and you will have a quick, last minute appetizer to produce for company in mere minutes.  Better yet, if you have a “drop in” let them handle the assembly while you pour the wine. 

I have not included any measurements because none are needed, and I added some minced garlic just to add a little zip.

 
Ham and Dill Pickle Roll-ups (multiple sources)
  • dill pickle wedges
  • whipped low-fat cream cheese, room temperature
  • minced garlic to taste
  • fresh ground pepper to taste
  • sliced Deli Ham

Directions:

  1. Cut the dill pickle wedges in half if they are really large and lay wedges on paper towels to drain for 10 minutes.
  2. In the mean time mix the garlic and the pepper into the whipped cream cheese.
  3. Lay a slice of ham down on your cutting board.  Spread some of the cream cheese on the lower two thirds of the ham.  Lay a slice of pickle on top of the cream cheese.  Roll up the ham around the pickle and the cream cheese.
  4. Secure roll with 4 toothpicks, spaced evenly.  Cut rolls between toothpicks.
  5. Now eat!
Printable Recipe
 

 

 

 

6 comments:

Lea M. Callais said...

That does look like it would be iffy - but I bet in actuality delish! Hey - did you use regular ham or smoked ham - what do you think about smoked ham as an option?

June said...

Yum - we love 'em and often put them into our cooler for a go lunch while we're driving (to Oregon in 16 weeks aka 112 days). LOL

Mary said...

What great looking appetizers or muchies. I like June's idea! We'll be driving to Chicago in a few weeks and I am definitely going to be placing these in a cooler for the long 16 hour drive!

Lorraine said...

I used regular deli ham but smoked would be great.

Lorraine said...

I'm a convert that is for sure. You will be back to Oregon before you know it.

Lorraine said...

Have a safe drive, and make sure you make more than you think you will need.